Reggio Inspired: Families

There were some wonderful ideas for incorporating the families’ presence in the classroom environment at Rosa Parks Preschool.  I think it is so comforting and homey for the children to see their families displayed in the classroom.  It makes a strong statement of mutual support and commitment to the child.
Family Tree: A simple tree painted on a canvas.  Each family member makes a “finger-print” leaf.
They include aunts, uncles etc. . . So cool!
Notice to the right, there are those wonderful branches with photos of each family hanging down.  Love. Love.
 Hopes and Dreams Loom:  I love. this. so. much!   I have a warm spot in my heart for woven pieces.  The parent wrote their hopes and dreams for their child on a ribbon and wove it into the loom.  This is so wonderful.
I would include the teacher’s hopes and dreams for the students.
 Here is their documentation sheet about the loom project.
Each family has a frame and a photo picture hanging right next to the “safe place.”
Another great way to integrate the photos of the families around a safe place.  Love the wheel.  A rich symbol.

Hugs!

Comments

1. Karen says:

I LOVE the woven ribbons! How beautiful, and what a powerful message for kids. It would be so wonderful for them to see throughout the year as a reminder that school and home are a team.

The aesthetics are just amazing. We have a family photo board that is pretty cute, but when I see these photos, I realize how much more potential they have. Thank you so much for sharing!

Karen
    Teaching Ace Blog

2. asa berggren says:

Amazing beautiful!!!!!!! looking for something for my parent to bring my community closer …
    Thank you ?
    Åsa Berggren

3. Suzanne says:

Love the family tree branches. How did you hang them up?

4. Cheryl Hodgetts says:

I love the ideas they have inspired me to begin a photo wall with the branches

5. Susan says:

I love these family ideas. Make me think k about how I can do this for my preschool. Thanks for sharing these ideas.

6. Janine says:

Wow, I love the hopes and dreams loom! Thanks for sharing these ideas.

7. Laurel says:

I love the wheel, the family pictures on the branches and the loom with wishes! I am going to incorporate all 3!

8. Juliana Santana says:

I love them all!!!!!
    Soo specials!!!

There are so many ways to honor families! Please share the ways you honor your classroom families!

• Casey says:

At our preschool we have a wooden tree which is the trunk and branches each family is given a paper leaf to hang their photo on and this is added to our tree therefore making the leaves of the tree

Love this idea!

9. Gayle Forrester says:

Hi and thank you for sharing these wonderful ideas of displaying family photos and other ideas. The work of Reggio Emilia is so inspiring. Thanks Sally.

10. Nelli says:

I love the “Hopes and Dreams Loom” it brings such a great sense of community. And the photo picture hanging right next to the “safe place” is such a comforting idea! Thank you.

11. Katie says:

In my two year old classroom, we laminated the family pictures and then stuck the pictures in pockets on the wall. When a child is sad, they go find their family picture and carry it around with them. When they don’t need it anymore, they stick it back in the pocket.

Oh, I love this idea! What a nice thought to know family is always around.

12. Francesca says:

Beautifull and inspiring ideas… I liked the dreams and hopes idea. Im gonna do something like this also.
    Thanks

13. Sandra Mata says:

Wow!! What an inspiration I will be using this idea for my classroom!!

Thanks

14. Janet Gregg says:

At our pre-school the children and their family each make a special poster at home showing family photos,favourite places and activities. They bring these to school when the child has their first visit and we choose a spot to hang it. It gives me a great way to connect with the children!

Janet, what a wonderful idea! I know the children feel honored when they share their special poster with their classmates!

• Julie Bedard says:

We do the same thing as Janet, sending home a piece of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper. After the poster is shared, all are put into a pocket style scrapbook that I buy pretty inexpensively. It then goes in our library center. The kids look at these ALL YEAR and the scrapbook usually falls apart by the last month which is fine, since all the pages go home with the children. It takes up less wall space that way.

15. Jagruti says:

Hi I want to know about program planning ideas..

That might be a great new blog post! I will add it to my list as there is so much to share!

16. Thanomchit says:

Our classroom only has family photos only to comfort them when they miss their parent. It is a good idea to have more ideas and perspectives. Thank you.

17. Jerusha Sharma says:

We have a “Family Book” in our classroom that includes pictures of each child’s family and a drawing with the child’s writing about their family. The children love curling up and reading the book with friends in our comfy reading space. My colleague also started a tradition where each child brings in pictures of his/her family and things that they love doing together, the teacher then creates a beautiful puzzle that the children can do with their friends in the class. The oral language and community building that is provoked by these puzzles is amazing, so I borrowed her idea and started the tradition in our classroom too!