Boulder Journey School

Last month I had the pleasure of attending the Boulder Journey School Conference.  It was a wonderful, thought-provoking gathering.  I highly recommend this conference for an enriching professional development experience.  (And the thrift stores in Boulder are amazing!)

I was taken back by the gorgeous environments.  I wanted to share a few glimpses into this beautiful school.

IMG_7778

I thought this was such a dynamic art making space.  I love the diversity of materials and the display of the work.

IMG_7846

The school created number cards by taking photos of the children’s fingers!

IMG_7780

This is a room for the little ones.  There is a big cardboard car in the middle of the room for their current investigation.  Love it!

IMG_7804

I loved the texture in this space – the branch with little lanterns, the wood boards with plants in mason jars, the tall thin sticks in the pot in the corner, the green plants, flowers on the table – and how it felt so warm and comforting.

IMG_7805

What a great way to bring plants into the classroom.

IMG_7824

This is the school art studio.  It is so fresh and full of vitality.  I adore the projection on the wall amongst all of the art making.

IMG_7871

Another magical space!  I love the white lanterns and draping.   There are water bottles in the window with graduated colors of the rainbow.  So beautiful as the light hit.

IMG_7771

There is the coolest sand table under the canopy:

IMG_7769

For more information about this treasure, and to keep an eye on next year’s conference – go to http://www.boulderjourneyschool.com

A big thank you to all of the teachers of BJS for the gracious and warm welcome into your classrooms.  It was so inspiring!

Comments

1. Mariah says:

Thanks so much for sharing these photos. I love getting to see such amazing classrooms. Can you tell me more about the wooden racks that are hanging near the windows in the 3rd photo? Do they have a function? I am in the process of creating a small art studio in my classroom and love the look and feel of this space.

Thanks again for sharing.

Those wooden racks are totally a visual element and really make the space magical. I think it is genius! A wood rack canopy! It gives that feeling with out overwhelming the visual space!!

• Erica says:

I wonder if you could use them for drying art projects as well, if they are sturdy enough?

• Sam Hall says:

Hi Erica,

This is Sam from Boulder Journey School. Great observation! These used to be the shelves from our old drying rack. We repurposed the shelves after the drying rack frame broke.

Best,
          Sam

2. Suzanne says:

I loved looking at your post on BJS – I was at the conference last year and it is wonderful to see some of the differences/developments.

I am in Boulder right now (and was over the conference, but as my family and I had just arrived from Sweden I put family first this year). Luckily though I will be doing a workshop at BJS in just over a week’s time (Pre-philosophy and the art of listening). so hopefully I will get a glimpse of the preschool then…

How exciting! I was so impressed with the graciousness and knowledge of the BJS faculty, director and founder. What a treasure! I am so excited for you!

3. Desi says:

I feel so proud and lucky to see our school posted. Thank you for visiting us.

Thank you for sharing your space and teaching so generously. It was an amazing experience!

4. Sam Hall says:

Thanks for sharing these images, Sally! We hope you can come visit us again soon.

Thank you for opening up the school to other educators and sharing the wisdom! I will be back next year!! Love, love, love the conference!

5. Ashley Wickham says:

It was so nice to meet you at the conference Sally! I found out afterward that you are the author of this blog, which I have been following for awhile now. Thank you for providing such a wonderful resource for Early Childhood Educators!

6. Sarah Ganong says:

I too was at the summer conference and was so amazed at the simple beauty of each classroom. The respect for the children, nature and space itself is very evident. This conference really changed my perspective on how materials are presented and selected. Thank you so much for sharing this and helping me “relive” the moment if being there! I treasure the entire experience and can not wait to return next year!!

7. Nicole says:

In the 4th picture can you tell me more about the table? Dimensions? Where it was purchased? Anything really. I would love to have a table large enough to fit 12 kids like this! Thank you, for your time.

Nicole, this table is at Boulder Journey School – so I have no way to measure it. You might email them and ask. It is a great table!! Sorry I am no help!

• Sam Hall says:

Hi Nicole,

My name is Sam and I work at Boulder Journey School. The table in the 4th photo is actually a 4 panel wooden door that we turned into a table. We have a used construction materials reuse center in town, which is where we found the door. If you don’t have one near you, I know we have also purchased some on Craigslist. The dimensions are 80″x30″. To prevent spills from damaging the wood, we ordered a piece of 1/8″ clear plexiglass to the correct size. We screwed the plexiglass onto one side of the door and caulked the seams, creating a sealed top for it. The table legs are standard metal table legs that we purchased at our local hardware store, but I am not sure of the brand. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Best, Sam

Sam! Thank you for answering and giving such great details. Wonderful!

8. Michelle says:

Hi. Love the idea. Where did you get the branches that are hanging from the ceiling with the lanterns? Are they expensive to purchase?

1. […] for your own classroom or home! A blog that I like to pop through from time to time is, “Fairy Dust Teaching.” She has some super neat ideas and learning spaces posted on her blog. Here are pictures […]