Let It Go. . .Frozen

IMG_6256

The movie Frozen has dominated the children’s conversations and they absolutely love singing “Let It Go.”

A few weeks ago I decided it was time to channel the energy into a collaborative art project.

IMG_5929

Day One:  I put out different shades of purple and blue tempera paint.  I added a pot of white paint as well.  They painted the first layer.

IMG_5937

Day Two:  I put out the same colors and let the children add another layer of paint.  I encouraged them to make shapes and patterns with the paints.

IMG_6051

Day Three:  I prepared a tray of loose materials – assorted beads, baubles, and such in shades of white, silver, clear and pearl.

Each children took a dixie cup filled 1/3 full of glue.  A few drops of blue or purple liquid watercolor was added.  The children stirred their mixture with a craft stick.

Next, they chose things from the tray and added them to the “mixture.”

IMG_6052

The mixture was poured over the painting.

IMG_6054

I let the children scrape and scratch the canvas with their glue mixtures.

IMG_6059

Day Four:  I prepared dixie cups again with glue.  This time, the children added glitter – blue, white and pearl glitter.  They stirred their new mixtures.  NO color was added.

IMG_6062

The glitter mixtures were poured on to the canvas with craft sticks.

IMG_6254

The finished product!

Comments

1. Julie B says:

What was your base? Poster board? Canvas?

Canvas! I purchased it at Michaels with a 40% off coupon. It is a good sized canvas – museum style.

2. Mimi Mumu says:

You could sell that for $5000 and earn money for your classroom!

I know right? The children are so free and full of whimsy with art!

3. Dawn says:

Beautiful!!!!! I was inspired by your project. I did it with my preschool class this week. We listened to ‘Let it Go’ and they created their masterpieces! The children were so adorable singing the song : )

Thank you for your inspiration.

Much love,
    Dawn

Wonderful!

4. Missy says:

Gorgeous. I love the idea of bringing their love of the movie into expressive art. I know some munchkins who need to do just the same thing.

5. Amber says:

Our class did a similar project. We took a huge canvas and let them rub the colors with their hands for two days in a row then we added the glue and glitter with the “snow shavings” to give it some shimmer. We used this canvas as the backdrop to the Frozen recital a few of the girls in our class planned. It was amazing. A few other ideas from our mini Frozen recital project included making Olaf out of different shaped marshmallows, creating costumes and other scenery, deciding on roles and characters necessary, writing out invitations and rehearsing our music. The children did a phenomenal job at each part. We also talked about “frozen fractals” mentioned in the song as part of the math piece and how to freeze and melt items for a science piece. It was really fun to put learning into the children’s interests!

Wow! What an exciting project! I love it!

6. Roselie says:

SO beautiful!

7. Tracey says:

Love your creativity…Frozen project results….GREAT!!!
    Bet they were very proud of their collaborative results!!!
    I’m impressed…

8. Mands says:

What a fantastic idea. My boys love the movie frozen so this would be something they would really enjoy

9. Brenda says:

What do you do with the collaborative art pieces at the end of the school year? Do you send them home with the kids? and if you do, how do you decide who gets to keep it?

I usually hold a raffle with those families that are interested. If I have a parent who has expressed a deep love of a piece and no one else has said anything to me – I will sometimes gift it to that family.

Depends on the situation!

• Christal miles says:

I would too love it. I would be interested in purchasing for my granddaughter.

10. Martha Ann Livingston says:

Do you think it would work to do this for a 7 year old birthday party – all in one sitting with each kid having their own canvas?

11. Candice says:

Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

12. Beautiful colors and Great Project idea! My son LOVES frozen.

13. Amanda says:

Thanks for the great idea. I’m doing a week of “Frozen” with my kids and I love this activity. I happen to have a bunch of smaller canvas boards at home, so I think I’ll bring them in and my kids will each do one over the course of the week. LOVE this.

14. Geri says:

I just recently signed up to take a year long online art class (Life Book 2015). There is a new teacher each week teaching a new piece & different techniques & then the students post their finished work online. What struck me about this piece that your students did was their apparent freedom and lack of internal restrictions that some of the adults in my online class are having trouble shaking off. It’s harder for adults to shake off their internal critic and “just see what happens”. I absolutely love what your students did here & I am just dying to make one of these “Frozen” canvases for myself. Thanks for sharing their work & this great project! 😀

1. Let It Be. . .Frozen

2. […] Dust Teaching explains how she encouraged children to create a collaborative art project inspired by the wild colors of […]