The "Living" Dollhouse. . .

So dang sweet, it is!  It could be called a large fairy garden but I love calling it the “Living” dollhouse because I put dollhouse dolls and furniture in it.

Here’s how I did it: I used a large box that I cut down to just 6 inches tall.  I lined it with a plastic trash bag and poured in potting soil.   Next we built a pathway with stones, planted flowers, grass seed (not yet sprouted), added wood stumps and a way we went!

Don’t you love the mushroom/fairy furniture?  Found it on Amazon on clearance!  Score!
Shhh . . . I put a vacated wasp’s nest in as a carpet!  Ohhh – so fun!
I think is so rich and full of live to provide a dollhouse setting that has flowers and grass growing and elements of nature.   We will continue to add to this dollhouse “landscape” until school ends.
Learning links:  Next week I will begin telling stories with the little dollhouse people to demonstrate how to spin a story with these props.  We will discuss the beginning, middle and end of my stories.  I will offer storytelling for the children to do for the class much like a puppet show.   Finally, Thursday and Friday I will ask the children to write about it.  It is a full vibrant experience to take to paper.

Comments

1. This is so adorable!

2. What a creative idea – using nature as the basis for the doll house. It will be interesting to see how the environment interacts with the house. I wonder if any animals will take up residence! Renee

• Oh what a grand idea! I had not thought of it! I should put little creatures in the setting. See if the children notice! Little squirrels and rabbits and such. Love your thinking!

3. That is so nice and fab.
    Doll houses are not just a child’s play it is also a work of art that enlighten us.

4. Denise says:

Where did you find the fairy dolls????

• Go to Amazon and search under “fairy dollhouse dolls.” They have several kinds. The set I purchased is no longer available but there several other adorable ones!

5. K VanScoy says:

Sally,

If there’s any chance that your kids are not interested in this fairy dollhouse furniture anymore, I would love to buy it from you. I bought this set for my niece and then the dogs ate all the furniture out of the house. Now it’s all discontinued and I’m desperate to track down a set.

Be in touch!

6. Nikita says:

what are those made of i would just love to know!:)

7. Harvey Law says:

This is sooooo cute I’d like to have one for my doll house furniture collections! Not to mention that it’s a DIY. Pretty good job I say! Anyway, this is great. Makes me wanna buy again for myself. Although I’m old now.

If you don’t mind, think you can give me an insight about this: http://shop.sueryder.org/doll-house-furniture.html .. They’re a charity too. I wouldn’t mind buying from them.

8. jan says:

Love this

9. Angela says:

Was working on storytelling with props with my 3s and 4s over the past week using a small square low water table. Working in our cooking/snack area I decided to use the freezer to make ice. Made ice pictures using large plastic containers freezing flowers, leaves and sliced strawberries into layers. Also added bulk pack ice cubes to tray. To increase interest on day 3 added artic story box characters to mix…includes orca whales, inuit people (with guns and on skidoos), whales, artic hares, igloos, walruses. Children were very interested, lots of collection making by younger ones, but the older did eventually, with a bit of modelling get the idea of creating a storyline using some of the characters.

Like your idea of the natural materials … wondering if a large baker’s tray might work well to contain soil. What sort of flowers have you put in?

I think a large baker’s tray might be just the thing. I put in flowers from my local nursery that were very economical! LOL! Money guided my choice!

I did add herbs one year and that really expanded the conversation. Picking the leaves of a mint plant and smelling it.

10. Cori says:

Just being honest this is magical.

11. Kellee O'Shea says:

So sweet! How often do you water and do you need to remove all the dolls and furniture to do so?
    Thank you!

We water every other day and don’t move the furniture or dolls. It is actually possible to water around them!

12. Susan Adams says:

This is just so lovely. I’ll begin tomorrow, and make a dinosaur land. I have 22 boys in my Kindergarten class!

13. Shelly says:

After reading your post, I started to make a ‘story garden’ with my class today. We have started small, using arts and crafts to create the garden. Tomorrow we will add in real objects, wooden furniture, toys and objects as the children find them. I have a small class of young children and they all became involved in creating the garden, happily contributing in their own way.

I know the children will delight in their own creation. You will delight in watching your class engage in such meaningful play!