Another Way to Draw the Cat in the Hat

Draw a “U” in the lower half of your paper.
 Draw a line across the top of the “u.”
 Make that line into a very thin rectangle.
Now add a long rectangle to the top of that –
almost to the top of your paper.
 Add the stripes to the hat.
 Draw another u for the mouth with two smaller u’s at the ends.
 Draw two black dots for the eyes and an upside down u for the nose.
 Draw a circle around the dots to finish the eyes.
Add three lines from the cat’s cheeks for the whiskers.
Make a square under the cat.
Add two triangles on either side with the point facing in.  Now you have the bow!
Add simple ears if you wish.
All you need is red watercolor paint.
Paint the stripes an ABAB pattern (red, white).
Paint the bow.  Done!

Comments

1. These are cute and the kids probably feel so great about them! Simple and adorable!

2. Lyn Goff says:

I did my first guided drawing with my pre-k class today – pigs (after reading several versions of the 3 Little Pigs). The kids loved it (and they were sooo cute). Thanks.

3. Barbara says:

Hi Sally! I’ve given you the One Lovely Blog Award. Come on by and see 🙂

?Barbara?
    Grade ONEderful

4. Kaleigh says:

This is so cute!! I’m a new follower 🙂

? Kaleigh’s Klassroom

5. S. Parker says:

These are wonderful.

6. sassygirl says:

I did this with My class yesterday, and they were soooo cute. Thank you so much for an easy to crank out lesson for a crazy day. I love that I only needed to set out one color of paint. Maybe I should think of more activities that only need one color. Thanks again.

7. Beth says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

8. Beth says:

so cute!! have to ask – did you just give directions verbally or did you show as well? we have an Elmo camera and I could show them step by step but I am not sure if then that would make them crazy that it “didn’t look right”

• I showed the children visually as well. I always tell the children just as each of us look different – so will their drawings. No two drawings will look the same. This gives them freedom from “doing it right.”

9. Stephanie says:

Hey there! I did this today with my kinders and LOVED it! I put it up on my blog and linked back to you:

Thank You for this!!!

Yay! I am so happy to hear it went so well! Thank you for the link back!

10. Sue Butter says:

Yay! I do this with my kinders. They love the end result. I LOVE guided drawing. Parents love them too.
    Thanks for all your wonderful ideas Sally. Can’t wait to use some next year.

11. Alleta says:

I love guided drawing, really lets you see how they “hear” directions. Thank you for your wonderful ideas.

So glad you like them! Make sure to download the free Guided Drawing book inside the subscriber site!