I saw this for the first time in a preschool in San Francisco. It was an arts integrated preschool and was so filled with creative opportunities for young children. They had an art center that held a variety of materials for making art. It a free choice center in my classroom.
Things I have put in the buckets:
- foam stickers
- fancy scissors with decorative edges
- rubbing plates
- pages from old books
- pages from old calendars
- paper tiles and squares
- construction paper scraps
- copy paper
- old photos
- old slides
- pine cones, sticks and other nature items
- the possibilities are endless!
About the Benefits of Arts Education for Children
Benefits of Arts EducationSource: Americans for the Arts, 2002
- Stimulates and develops the imagination and critical thinking, and refines cognitive and creative skills.
- Has a tremendous impact on the developmental growth of every child and has proven to help level the “learning field” across socio-economic boundaries.
- Strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, adding to overall academic achievement and school success.
- Develops a sense of craftsmanship, quality task performance, and goal-setting skills needed to succeed in the classroom and beyond.
- Teaches children life skills such as developing an informed perception; articulating a vision; learning to solve problems and make decisions; building self-confidence and self-discipline; developing the ability to imagine what might be; and accepting responsibility to complete tasks from start to finish.
- Nurtures important values, including team-building skills; respecting alternative viewpoints; and appreciating and being aware of different cultures and traditions.
Furthermore, according to the Americans for the Arts, children who are involed in the arts for at least three hours/three days a week for at least one full year are:
- 4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement
- 3 times more likely to be elected to class office within their schools
- 4 times more likely to participate in a math and science fair
- 3 times more likely to win an award for school attendance
- 4 times more likely to win an award for writing an essay or poem
For more information check out this web site: Americans For the Arts