Reggio Emilia: Color

Woot!  Day two of my sneak peek into a local Reggio Emilia inspired preschool, Rosa Parks. The quality of classroom environment in this school is off the charts.

Today I am going to share a few of their color ideas.

Simple canvas boards with color collections.  I love all the texture.
 A close up of the color collection.
 Almost every classroom had a version of this color application.  Paint value chips were used to designate the place for each color family.
 Love it!
 Here is the same idea on a black shelving.
 Here is a close-up of one where the paint chip was placed in the middle of the shelving unit. I love the inclusion of oil pastels and colored pencils.
 Super cool.  Tree branch containers!
 Each color has its own tree “cup.”  Uber cool.
 And look at this!  A branch with spots for the paint dots.
Another brilliant thought!  This teacher used tin cans on magnetic metal!  The children can pull off the cans and take them to their table.  The metal sits on a easel.
 Here is a light table with colored water.  So beautiful.
A painting center!  And look at the liquid watercolors waiting to be used!  Liquid watercolors are so vibrant and deep in color.

Tomorrow I will share their birthday traditions – so rich and wonderful!!!

Again, I am so grateful for the generosity and kindness of the teachers to allow photos and permission to post them on this blog.  Thank you from all of us Rosa Parks!

Comments

1. Sally, I am loving these posts! I teach pre-k at a reggio inspired school. I’m getting so many ideas of ways to spruce up my room!

• Woo Hoo! You are so lucky to be in a reggio inspired school! I am so excited about all the photos yet to come! So much goodness!

• Anonymous says:

Hi Sally-
      Thank you for sharing this wonderful program- Where is it located?

• It is located in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

2. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much for sharing these inspiring photos!

3. Erin says:

Sally,
    Can you help me understand why Reggio attaliers often have art materials, particularly drawing tools sorted by color? I would guess it is to help build schema (and because it looks so nice), but I just can’t imagine a way for this to be very practical for children who want to really have a good time using the materials. I’m not trying to be disrespectful, I’m genuinely trying to wrap my head around the theory behind the practice and how to make it work. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.
    Erin

I am by no means an expert – all I can address is my own experience. I was very surprised at how wonderful this kind of order in the art materials are for the children. I witnessed it at the 3 and 4 year old level. The children were much more intentional and purposeful in their selections. The materials are far more “delicious” to choose from in this kind of setting. Imagine the difference of having french fries at McDonald’s versus having sweet potato fries at Wolfgang Puck! Presentation sets in motion a deeper response and a richer experience. It is an education of the senses. There is a respect and loving care given to these precious materials. AND many times there are children who create chaos! I witnessed no lack of joy in the process.

4. Jo says:

I grew up going to Montessori school and I am very drawn to the spectrum arranged in a very mindful way. It is so much more soothing to the nervous system than the hodge-podge-ma-jumbo of storing all of the colors together. Thank you for the examples of creative ways to store the materials in such a beautiful and accessible way.

5. Karen says:

Do you know where they got the tree cup containers? I am working on revamping my classroom with more Reggio inspiration. Were they homemade, or purchases somewhere? Thanks!

Karen
    Teaching Ace Blog

They are homemade. Pretty cool!

6. Nina says:

I have just discovered your blog and I feel inspired! I teach high school English, geography and history to students with special needs and I’m intending to homeschool my two girls so i’m always looking for ideas to make learning more interesting!

So glad you found me! Make sure you are on my subscriber list. I have several wonderful things coming up especially for subscribers!

7. Sally,
    Which school in Tulsa? Thanks. I live in Stroud, OK which is 45 minutes from Tulsa. I teach prek and would love to visit it.

Rosa Parks Early Childhood Center, Union Public Schools. Amazing place.

8. Debbie Grace says:

I have just found your site and am delighted by my first glimpse! I’ve been a family child care provider for 35 years and have a preschool program in my home. I love Reggio and have been including a little more each year. I’m looking for new ways to set up my environment for the new year of preschool. Thanks for these lovely ideas! Love the tree branch containers! We have a Nature Explore outdoor classroom, so displaying art materials like this would feel like we’d brought the outdoors inside! We have lots of logs and tree cookies outside…

9. Sally Stanley says:

Who did you get to make those tree crayon holders? LOve them!!!!! Sally S.

10. Karen says:

I am so inspired by your blog. I am in teachers college and doing my block in a Reggio inspired ELKP classroom. I am enjoying my experience so far but do feel a bit lost. I am looking forward to future posts to get some neat ideas.

11. Tanya says:

Hi I just found your wedsites and it is great. I work at a non-Reggio daycare center in MD. I have worked their for three years and feeling uninspired. We have so many restrictions on how to decorate our room it feels like a hospital. The only area for inspiration is the homeliving area. Thanks for the wonderful ideas