Five Great Weaving Projects

I have found five weaving projects on other blogs that I have put on my 2012 to do list for my kindergartners.

1.  Branch Weaving
This is such rocking idea!
2. Mesh Weaving
I am in love with this piece.  This so happening in January!
3.  Paper Plate Weaving
This is a must see blog!  So cool.  Love this project!
There is an instruction link on at this link.
4. Hula Hoop Weaving
I love, love, love Family Fun.  I subscribe to the magazine and can count on tons of great ideas just like this one.  So making this with my kinders.  Maybe they can bring old t-shirts. . . .  recycle idea!
Circular Cardboard Weaving
I love this blog.  Her photos are heavenly.  Kylie has provided this adaptation to the circular loom which can be kinda daunting for young ones.  This is brilliant!  Thank you Kylie!

A FEW BENEFITS OF WEAVING WITH YOUNG CHILDREN:
  • builds fine motor skill (pincer grasp)
  • aids visual tracking
  • building eye/hand coordination
  • strengthens the muscles used in pincer grip
  • physical experience of spatial concepts of up, over, and under
  • helps in using both the dominant and non-dominant hands at the same time
  • weaving involves crossing the midline
  • the list goes on and on!

COMMON CORE STANDARDS ADDRESSED IN WEAVING

• Mathematics – Kindergarten – Geometry:
    • K.G. 1.  Describe the relative position using terms such as above, below, beside, in front of, behind and next to.
    • K.G. 5  Model shapes in the world by building shapes from components (e.g. sticks and clay balls).
Try a weaving project in your classroom this year and see the fairy dust fly!!

Happy Weaving!

Comments

1. Barbara says:

Hmmm…intriguing. I might have to try this too. I like the paper plate weaving.

?Barbara?
    Grade ONEderful

2. Do it! It is so amazing. I read a book called (I think?) The Hands – and it is all about the impact of the hands on intelligence. Intriguing is a good word for it!

3. Thanks for this post, Sally! Love these ideas, I should try this with my daughter. Merry Christmas to you!

4. Kat Rose says:

I have now spent almost an hour searching for the instructions for the hula-hoop rug on the Disney site, to no avail? I saw one other Pin ???? with good pictures, and I am very talented craft wise, but I’d have liked to have at least gotten to look at general directions for material amounts etc, before starting. Any clue where else these might be? It’s super cute I’m Googling it next!
    Thanks in advance!
    Kat

Hmm, I will look and see if I can find it!

• Mrs. Dish says:

I used large adult t-shirt and cut from bottom 1 to 1 1/2 inch wide loops making as many loops as I could fit up to armpits, use 4 of these loops around hula hoop. It will look like you sliced a pizza into 8 slices. Secure loops with tape around hoop so they don’t slide around the hoop. Cut the remaining loops into straight pieces and use more from various other colored t-shirts. Weave your strip beginning in the center of hoop where all loops intersect. Tie additional strip to the first one and repeat, as you begin to run out.

Thank you for sharing your method!!!

5. Nádia Conceição Malaquias Santos says:

Gostei de mais do projeto e vou colocá-lo em prática. Acredito muito no poder de trabalhos manuais como terapia de vários problemas físicos e mentais . Não se vê muito mais estas atividades em escolas convencionais e fico triste.

6. Fun idea. Can’t wait for the new term to start

You will be surprised at how much fun and what materials can be used to weave. Happy Weaving!

7. Vyky says:

Interesante. Yo uso esa técnica como telar para hacer gorras, es otra muy buena alternariva

Weaving is such a great way for children to express their creativity!
      El tejido es una gran manera para que los niños expresen su creatividad !(I love the internet!)

8. This is a Wonderful craft to do on a cold rainy day. I love it. Thank you.

9. This is a Wonderful craft to do on a cold rainy day. I love it. Thank you. Bernita Greer, Folsom, Louisiana.

10. Karin Horne says:

These are really fabulous ideas for weaving and I look forward to using them! Many thanks for the ideas.