I have found five weaving projects on other blogs that I have put on my 2012 to do list for my kindergartners.
- builds fine motor skill (pincer grasp)
- aids visual tracking
- building eye/hand coordination
- strengthens the muscles used in pincer grip
- physical experience of spatial concepts of up, over, and under
- helps in using both the dominant and non-dominant hands at the same time
- weaving involves crossing the midline
- the list goes on and on!
COMMON CORE STANDARDS ADDRESSED IN WEAVING
- Mathematics – Kindergarten – Geometry:
- K.G. 1. Describe the relative position using terms such as above, below, beside, in front of, behind and next to.
- K.G. 5 Model shapes in the world by building shapes from components (e.g. sticks and clay balls).