One of my first endeavors at the beginning of school is to fill the room with the student’s names! This helps the children feel welcomed and at home. It is a comfort for them to see their name around the room. Here are a few of the things I do:
- Every child has a name tent at their table.
- The first class book I make is a “Friend, friend, who do you see?” with a photo of each child and their name.
- The second class book is baby photos of the children (I type “I see Ethan.” or whoever the baby is).
- The next class book is of family photos.
Here’s a class book idea I love from Fairy Dust Subscriber – Amy Pylant:
- Each child has a page with the familiar rhyme and their picture. Our favorite is Peek A Boo Guess Who.
- I mount each child’s photo on a piece of card stock.
- I take a second piece and cut out a peek hole somewhere on the page so that when laid over the photo you only see a portion of the face.
- The text on each page reads, Peek A Boo guess who? The children have to guess who and even after many repetitions, they still want to read it even though they have memorized who is behind each peek hole! So much fun and laughter!
- I like to write their name at the bottom of the page so they see their name in print.