Story Stones

There are those ideas that you come across that capture your whole heart.  One day I was surfing the web for more ideas for storytelling and came upon Red Bird Crafts and Emily Neuburger.  Emily designed the coolest idea – story stones.  You must click over to her blog and take a peek at her story stones.

These stones are so endearing and beautiful.  She has a great tutorial on how to make them.  She also sells them.  I am going to buy a set from her because there is nothing in the world like owning an original set – it will have Emily’s special fairy dust!

Anyway, I knew instantly, I had to make a set of story stones for several of the fairy tales that I bring to the classroom.  And – I knew I did not have the time to make the characters from scratch.  I used images I already had.  You can also search copyright free images in Google or Yahoo.

First I cut out the characters and selected the stones I would modge podge them on.
I put a coat of modge podge on the stone.
I positioned the character on top of the modge podge.
I applied a coat of modge podge on top and pressed the paper into the stone.
 One mistake I made was getting the modge podge too thick on some of the stones. This would spot the image.
This is a set of story stones drying.
I am so excited to have the children use the stones to tell stories.  I will report back how it goes!  I am going to make more this weekend.  And order a set of Emily’s.  It will be like Christmas when they arrive!

Comments

1. Phyllis says:

Oh, they are so lovely! I love the pictures. I want to go make some myself now! Thanks!

• Stacey Mello says:

Adorable! I’m making these today!

I love this class, I think I’m just about done. Is there anything else I need to do? Will there be anymore units added? I’m not sure how to complete the class and get the certificate.
      Stacey Mello

2. Karen says:

These are fabulous! When I get my act together, will you share about these too – on Friday Fairy Tales? I’m sure I will get it together any day now – ummmm, right?

: )

3. I adore this idea!!! Fabulous and new twist on acting out stories! Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea!
    Jenea

4. I just think Emily had a stroke of genius when she came up with this! The class reaction today was the final measure of how amazing this idea truly is! I urge you guys to give it a whirl!

Karen – yes, absolutely!

• Sally,

Your new website is just gorgeous! Many thanks for all of your kind words and support re: my Story Stones. It is always so nice to visit your space. xo emily

5. Love love love love this idea! So adorable!

6. Anonymous says:

I Love This Idea! I will use this in my kindergarten classroom. I LOVE your images and haven’t found anything as beautiful. Do you know where you found your images?

7. The images came from SparkleBox.

8. Anonymous says:

I finally made a huge set of these – which turned out great – and can’t wait to use them with my students! So many possibilities for using them! Thanks so much!

9. Lee in Pre says:

Oh my goodness! I’ve been a teacher for over 20 years and have never seen this idea. I knew immediately that I must make some of these. Going to find some stones now.

10. MOSTMOM says:

I love this idea. I have seen her site before, and loved them, but never did anything with these stones. Now, after reading your blog, I am going to make a set for three bears with big, medium and small rocks for the beds, chairs and bowls. Thank you!!

11. Lauren says:

Hi there – not sure if my last comments were posted or not, but this is such a cute idea! I can’t wait to share it with my students. Would you happen to have a copy of the images you used? They are so cute! Anything you can share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and take care!

stolau7@gmail.com

• I found this clipart at http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/usa/

I have not put this information on the post due to some scandal around the company.

There are several fairy tale clip art sites from the UK to check out.

Hope this helps.

Sally

12. Barb says:

Love story stones. Favourite set is for the Very Hungry Caterpillar… first stone is the head… each segment of his body is another stone… one side is green with little legs on the bottom, the other side is a part of the story… the silvery moon, each of the foods he ate through, etc. A wonderful rock collection for children to retell the story!

13. Holly says:

I love the story rocks. I think after I get the children used to making stories with them I will put pictures of the kids in my class on them so they can make stories using their classmates. I’ll put them in the block center and they can make castles and houses for their settings.

• Claudette Henson says:

Oooooooooh I want to do that! I have done it with wood. This is an awesomw idea!

14. Nina says:

Oh, sadness! I headed to her blog, clicked the link to her shop on Etsy, but no products appear. I was hoping to buy a set and get myself going in that direction. It looks like I’m headed for a project…love love love this idea, and plan on using it this coming year in yet another 1st/2nd combo. Thanks as always, Sally!

15. Tamara Beck says:

Hi Sally,

I hand painted the very hungry caterpillar, my boys love them and I intend to use them once I start teaching 🙂 thanks for this info, It will be less time consuming than painting them by hand 🙂

Regards Tamara

16. Blanche Nicholson says:

I love this idea and I know my kids too.. Thanks

It is true magic!

17. Christictrey says:

I think I will print out a set with my students picture on them for additional play.

The children will bring those story stones to life! It’s hands on storytelling!

18. Claudette Henson says:

I am so excited to do this! We can bring the stones with is into the woods and use them there.

19. Claudette Henson says:

Us. Sorry I should proofread!

20. Ellie says:

Love this! I made story natural wood blocks for my preschooler class – used pictures from http://www.crekid.com/Story%20Making.html and mod podge. Each cube is a theme, but they get mixed up and shaken and rolled – then the story gets interesting 😀

Oh, I love this idea! I am sure there are wonderful stories that come out of that fun!

21. Deborah says:

I have been looking for some fresh ideas to make storytelling time more interactive and exciting. This sounds like a fantastic idea. I will check out Emily’s website and let you know how it goes in the classroom. Thank you so much for the inspiration.

1. […] Fairy Dust Teaching has a photo tutorial on making the story stones […]

2. […] adored the story stones! Oh my goodness!  I am going to be making more story stones this weekend (see last post for instructions).   What was so inspiring was how the stones provided an easy way to collaborate on […]