This is my favorite recipe for gingerbread play-dough. It smells wonderful and provides the perfect play during our Gingerbread Boy unit.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 Tb. cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tsp. vegetable oil
Spices–Cinnamon, Allspice, Ginger, Nutmeg, Cloves
Use Green and Red food coloring to make the dough brown (I like Wilton’s Brown Food Dye)
1. Mix the dry ingredients adding the spices until you get a good level of scent.
2. Mix water and oil together and add them to the dry ingredients. Stir.
3. In a pan, cook the mixture for three to five minutes on lowheat, stirring constantly.
4. The dough will start to pull away from the sides of the pot and stick together in a large ball. I like to push the dough out and flat and let it cook. It will look like it is too sticky. Let it cook a bit.
5. Take the dough out of the pan and knead the dough until it becomes smooth. (I like to mix it in my Kitchen Aid with the bread hook. I drop it in while it is still warm. It makes it perfect!!!)
6. Allow the dough to cool before using. Store in an airtight container.