Who is that Mystery Reader?

IMG_5609

I love having “Mystery Readers” and it has been an important part of my classroom for years.  There is nothing more exciting to a student than to have a family member read to the class.   I did not think it could get any better until I started working with my co-teacher, Patty.  She has a wonderful addition to this timeless practice – hide the Mystery Reader behind a curtain!  We only see the shadow!  Too cool!!!

IMG_5610

Students ask the Mystery Reader questions to try and guess — who is it??

The Mystery gives a thumbs up or down, shrugs, or nods their head to answer.

“Are you a girl?”

“Do you have a child here?”

“Is your favorite color red?”

IMG_5611

I loved that this parent, Lindsay, brought Skippy Jones to make the shadows so much fun!!!

After the questioning, the students chant, “Mystery Reader, Mystery Reader, Please come out!”

IMG_5617

My favorite part of the process will always be the all important reading.

Parent involvement in the literacy process is crucial to a child’s success.  I love the pressure parents receive to be a “mystery reader.”  I love reading as the prime time activity in the classroom.  So rich!

This moments are priceless!

Click HERE for another post on Mystery Readers.

Comments

1. Lindsay Kline says:

Being the mystery reader was such a fun experience, and a great way to bond with my daughter and her class. She was thrilled to get to share both her mommy and one of her favorite stories with all of her friends! Such a great idea. Thanks, Mrs. Haughey.

• Kelly says:

I love this idea! I will try to use it in my classroom.

2. Beautiful idea! The children must be thrilled and have lasting memories.

3. Sarah says:

This is a creative idea. For my older students I will have them be the mystery readers and have them be the ones also creating the “I wonder…” thoughts from their peers. This year I have 1st/2nd grade students that love to take the lead and are very empowered to work well within their own class room community. I feel like this is another great way to continue to add to this growth within our community and bring in our families as guest mystery readers. Thank you for this.

4. Kimber says:

This is a beautiful idea! I am definitely incorporating this into my classroom this year!!!

One of my very favorite classroom traditions, EVER!

5. María Inés Tisker says:

Wonderful idea!!! I want to use it in my class.

6. Sister Bridget Smith, ASCJ says:

This year I invited parents to be mystery reader to read Dr. Suess books to my Kindergarteners. I have them scheduled at various times on various days so you never know who or when someone may come knocking at our door – like the Cat in the Hat. The children are so excited and are curious to know who will be the next mystery reader.

How exciting for the children! You know they can’t wait to see who knocks on the door next!