Glue Multi-Media Paintings

This is a very fun way to produce a process based painting.

I love the texture and dimension it produces!
 I begin with a canvas that the children have previously painted.  These canvases were painted with red, yellow, and orange paints.
What you need:
  • glue
  • liquid watercolors or food coloring (these will keep the glue transparent as it dries)
  • plastic “stir pots”
  • popsicle stick to stir the mixture
  • assorted materials to stir into the pot (beads, yarn, little tiles, buttons, pieces of paper, etc.)
  • plastic table cloth to protect your table (I buy them on sale)
The best part of this project is that the children mix up a brew of paint, glue and stuff.  I let the children squeeze their glue into the pot, I let them squeeze the paint, and add whatever they want from the buffet of materials.  Ooo so fun!!
 The children LOVE making their own concoctions.  Pure bliss.
When the pot is ready – it is dumped onto the canvas.
 The mixtures are drizzled, dumped, swirled and applied in all sorts of ways.  It was so interesting to see one of my students discover how she could create swirls of orange on top of the yellow.  Another student added a bit of water to his mixture to see how it changed his mixture.
Let the painting dry flat.  It will take up to three days.
 Display!
It adds a lovely bit of color to the corner.

Comments

1. Faigie says:

Wow! you can’t get more “process” over product than this activity

2. Erin says:

OH my goodness… I love this… what a wonderful collaborative project this will be!!! It’s time for me to refresh my color “posters” in my room, and now I know what I am going to do. Time to buy some canvas board and check out my supply of white glue. I wish I could do this tomorrow, but it will have to wait a few days. 😀

• Erin! Yes! It is absolutely a wonderful collaborative project.

3. This is absolutely stunning. I love it!

Wishing you a lovely week!
    xoxo

4. Lyn Goff says:

Very Cool! What kind of canvas did you use?
    Lyn

• I used two old canvases in my personal stock (as a painter) but you can grab them cheap at Michael’s with a 40% off coupon. I used regular canvases.

5. “The children LOVE making their own concoctions.” This is so very true. Oh the process of creating art : )
    This is such a wonderful project with endless possibilities. I also like the monochromatic background. It makes the details of the collage pop. Thanks for sharing!!!

6. Liz Mccaw says:

Thanks Sally, We have never do be this on canvas, just paper or cardboard. I can just imagine how much easier it is to hang with a canvas! liz

7. Prema Daniel says:

Lovely idea, must first try it out myself.I am sure children will love it

8. Lisa says:

Oh Sally,
    You always save my soul when I need it. We have been spending sooo much time on assessments for the fall deadlines, I needed something just plain fun for the kids and their own little souls……
    and here you are! We are going to do this Tomorrow!!!! I’m really putting a lot of time into Seasons this year so we will do our 4 Seasons Art for the wall like this project!!!! Thank you again for always renewing me…
    Lisa

Yay! You made my day!

• Brenda says:

I heart this! So glad to see there are still teachers who educate the whole child!

9. Lisa says:

Lisa Michael

10. Gayle Forrester says:

I love how the end result looks and how easy it is to become artists while enjoy mixing textures all at the same time.

Thanks for the great inspiration,
    Gayle Forrester