Wassily Kandinsky Study, Part 1

Kandinsky’s Circles is a wonderful inspiration piece.  Here is a super easy art piece for the young child.  It is great tracing and cutting practice.
 METHOD:  I made three sizes of circle tracers – large, medium and small.  (I used round caps and such to make the tracers out of manila folders.)  I had the children trace six circles of each size in six different colors.  They cut out the circles and stacked them from largest to smallest.  I told them to make sure each stack had different color circles.  I let them find their own way to construct the piece. They used glue sticks.
 This child built each stack, one at a time.
 This child put all the large circles down first.  Then the medium sized circles and so on!
Our inspiration piece:  Kandinsky’s Circles.

Comments

1. Love famous artists projects! See what I have.
    This is great!

2. I did this with 2nd and 3rd graders. We used oil pastels for the circles and then water colored each square a different color. They turned out beautifully.

3. Love this! B would have a great time doing this. I think we will try it today!

4. @ Inspired Montessori – Love your projects! Thank you for sharing!

5. I used the same inspiration with my 4-6 year old art class and it is great. I prepped the quality paper with some light pencil scores to show the different boxes, then had the kids use different color pastels to practice drawing circles of various sizes and thickness. We used this as a great opportunity to discuss complimentary/ opposite colors (in ref. to the color wheel) as the kids chose which colors to use together for their watercolors which they used to fill in the sqaure, a la resist.

6. Meg says:

I’m going to try this during our first week of school, thanks for this idea!

7. A friend sent me a link to your blog tonight.. I just got super excited because I realized that you are my daughters K teacher this year!! I love you already! How lucky is Aubrey Rose! I host a blog too 😉 http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/

8. @ Kelly! Aubrey Rose is such a sweet pea! I am the lucky one! You would be so proud. Her first day was amazing. She did so well!

9. Busy Bees says:

Love the colorful project. Can’t wait to try this out!! Just found your blog and will definitely keep checking back!!
    BusyBees

10. gini says:

I am going to do this lesson with my middle school special ed. students (Mod/severe that are in a life-skills class). They know colors, shapes, can trace, cut, glue/paste…I am interested in what they see in their work that is similar to Kandinsky’s. Thanks so much for this inspiration!

11. Gini – let me know how it goes and what they see in their work!

Sally

12. Jane says:

Very colorful and so much fun!
    Another ‘circle artist” who created very colorful paintings and collages is Pacita Abad. She loved circles! My multi-aged art class learned about her great love for people and colorful art. This inspired us to create painted and collaged circles.
    Here is the post about Pacita Abad http://floridacreate.blogspot.com/2015/09/women-artist-series-pacita-abad.html
    This is the post about our Painted and Collaged Circles!

Enjoy!

• Lyn Collins says:

Hi Jane,
      What a perfect follow on from our project on Yayoi Kusama!
      We were considering kinetic sculptures next but I just couldn’t get the flow of connection between and now I believe I have it. Kandinsky’s Circles leading on to Pacita Abad just feel so right with that sense of flowing movement.
      And best of all it brings in one of our New Zealand foremost artists Phil Price….I’m sure you’ll appreciate that connection of dots & circles.

What fantastic fun…cannot wait to begin

Lyn.
      FB Arthur Burns Preschool

Beautiful sculptures! Magical!

13. Donna Massucci says:

I love it!!! Look so nice and you see that a child did it!!! I would frame mine child’s.

14. Aanchal Sharma says:

Thank you Sally, for this wonderful idea. My preschoolers would benefit so much out of this.